Basil

Problems You Have Encountered in Bioinformatics

As a Bioinformaticians or Computational Biologist, what are some issues that you have faced early on in your career? This could range from issues with programming, issues with software, issues with algorithms, and even issues with biological questions/ideas. 

My issue has been finding willing labs for Bioinformatics Doctoral programs. PIs who are not only willingly accepting students, but who have projects that are both interesting and are making breakthroughs in the world of Bioinformatics. 

I feel one of the most challenging issues is how each of us defines Bioinformatics/Computational Biology. It's such a broad term and our specific area of interest may not match with that of our PIs. And related to this is, what prerequisites to match, even when just expanding knowledge-base. I was trained to look for and use existing tools to help with my analysis. Right now, I need to learn programming to run codes for my analysis. Then comes the choice of programming language. While the concepts hold for all languages, it's usually best to master one over the others (or maybe all). But hey, that's what keeps us going, I guess -The cycle of learning and applying.. I'm still at the very start of my career, I am sure my response will change few years down the line. Looking to hear from others who have crosses this stage already. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Archana said:

I feel one of the most challenging issues is how each of us defines Bioinformatics/Computational Biology. It's such a broad term and our specific area of interest may not match with that of our PIs. And related to this is, what prerequisites to match, even when just expanding knowledge-base. I was trained to look for and use existing tools to help with my analysis. Right now, I need to learn programming to run codes for my analysis. Then comes the choice of programming language. While the concepts hold for all languages, it's usually best to master one over the others (or maybe all). But hey, that's what keeps us going, I guess -The cycle of learning and applying.. I'm still at the very start of my career, I am sure my response will change few years down the line. Looking to hear from others who have crosses this stage already. 

Those are some excellent points!  That was one of the hardest things for me as well, trying to figure out what subjects I should prioritize first. Should it be computer programming/science, biological sciences or mathematics?  The lab I ended up joining for my masters focused on computer science, so I spent most of my time there. Now at the Ph.D. level, a lot of the labs focus on tool development rather than implementation, and it's made me go back to try to become an even better programmer.

It definitely is a never-ending cycle of reevaluating where you are at, and what you need to do to make it to the next step. However, this challenge is also what has made Bioinformatics so rewarding!