Archana

Changing Schools After PhD has started

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone has ever considered changing schools after a year of their PhD has passed in the current school? Is it possible to change schools at this time? What are the pros and cons of applying to new graduate schools? 

Thanks!

I know of two people in my current Ph.D. Program who attended another program for a year, realized it wasn't a good fit, and decided to leave. Both of them were still able to receive multiple admissions from other universities and are now very happy with their current situation. Obviously, the biggest con is you're potentially going to have to sit out some time from school while you apply elsewhere. However, some programs admit students in the Fall and Spring, which means less time away. 

3 hours ago, Archana said:

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone has ever considered changing schools after a year of their PhD has passed in the current school? Is it possible to change schools at this time? What are the pros and cons of applying to new graduate schools? 

Thanks!

Cons: 

Some schools look negatively at people who quit graduate programs, like Basil said. 
Having to go through the entire application process again.

Pros:

It's better to realize that a PhD program is not for you early, then be miserable for the next 4-6 years.

There's a lot of information on the internet about how quitting a graduate program is a kiss of death in terms of your application. And this might be true for the top PhD programs, but I also know people who have quit one program and still got accepted at another.  It really depends on the applicant and the circumstance I think.