Sign in to follow this  
Mike

Best Programming Language for Data Science

What would you guys say are the best programming languages for data science? I'm talking object-oriented programming language, and not R (although I realize R is important.) I'm torn between Java and Python currently. Already know SQL and C. 

With SQL and C, you can already conduct a lot of the data analysis and visualization needed for Data Science. Although, I would lean towards picking up Python, as it seems to be much simpler than Java, and a more popular option in the field. 

• Thanks 1

Python all the way for Data Science! There are just way more people who program in it, and so many resources that are connected with data science! 

On 6/8/2017 at 6:29 PM, Basil said:

With SQL and C, you can already conduct a lot of the data analysis and visualization needed for Data Science. Although, I would lean towards picking up Python, as it seems to be much simpler than Java, and a more popular option in the field. 

Yes, I realize that I probably could do a lot of data analysis using C, but I don't want to be the outlier amongst my peers. I would rather acquire language tools that others in my field are utilizing, so it does indeed seem like Python is the way to go in that regard. 

On 6/11/2017 at 3:46 AM, Eli said:

Python all the way for Data Science! There are just way more people who program in it, and so many resources that are connected with data science! 

I agree to this as well. It seems as if many of the most popular resources for Data Science revolve around Python, so that does make the most sense in making sure I pick that language up. 

6 hours ago, keekdasneak said:

If I don't know any programming language at all, would you still recommend Python? 

I would still recommend Python, as there are so many excellent resources for it out there! I would also encourage you to look into R Programming, which is a statistical software package also heavily used in Data Science.