Sign in to follow this  
Eli

Getting into Biomedical Informatics

For those who are studying Biomedical Informatics, what are some tips you would give to people who are looking to get started? Any particular resources or advice you can send their way? 

Hi, 

I am actually a biomedical informatics phd student - so I can help answer this question. :) 

First off, I think it's important that you are honest with why you are pursuing biomedical informatics. Are you doing it because you want to work in a research hospital, an industrial position? If that is the case, I have many friends who were able to secure great informatics jobs right after their masters (they also were steadfast on securing an internship DURING their masters.) That's very important, as it was their internship that helped secure that hard-earned job. ;)

On the contrary, are you doing it because you love research and teaching and that is what you want from your career? Then a phd is absolutely the better option and allows you to attain that career lifestyle!! 

There are lots of people who do get a phd and go into industry so pleaseee do not think that I am saying masters is the only way to get an industrial job. It is just seems like the masters allows you to get a job quicker & if that is your main prerogative, then it seems like the better option. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 6/17/2017 at 0:55 PM, Stephanie_R said:

Hi, 

I am actually a biomedical informatics phd student - so I can help answer this question. :12_slight_smile:

First off, I think it's important that you are honest with why you are pursuing biomedical informatics. Are you doing it because you want to work in a research hospital, an industrial position? If that is the case, I have many friends who were able to secure great informatics jobs right after their masters (they also were steadfast on securing an internship DURING their masters.) That's very important, as it was their internship that helped secure that hard-earned job. ;) 

On the contrary, are you doing it because you love research and teaching and that is what you want from your career? Then a phd is absolutely the better option and allows you to attain that career lifestyle!! 

There are lots of people who do get a phd and go into industry so pleaseee do not think that I am saying masters is the only way to get an industrial job. It is just seems like the masters allows you to get a job quicker & if that is your main prerogative, then it seems like the better option. 

This is some awesome advice! Thanks for sharing it, Stephanie!  

What about somebody who is going from a molecular wet lab to trying to incorporate some informatics work? What do you reccomend for them? 

On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 0:55 PM, Stephanie_R said:

Hi, 

I am actually a biomedical informatics phd student - so I can help answer this question. :) 

Nice response. I agree with this a lot. I would say that for people who are unsure of what exactly they want, a masters is a much better route. It gives you a good feeling of the academic side of things, while also allowing you to pursue internships and gain valuable skills that companies are interested in. Of course, everything is subjective, but I have seen this to be true for most cases. 

On 7/8/2017 at 1:33 PM, Neuro_1993 said:

What about somebody who is going from a molecular wet lab to trying to incorporate some informatics work? What do you reccomend for them? 

Great question Neuro. :) 

I would first focus on what you are trying to achieve in your laboratory, and see how other labs in your line of work are incorporating informatics. I wouldn't try to push informatics if you're doing something completely molecular that has no basis for it. If that is the case (no room for informatics) I would look for some other research that you could be apart that involves informatics OR I would learn programming and software tools instead, that you could use later down the road.