Sign in to follow this  
Stephanie_R

Electronic health records research

Anybody here doing any research using the electronic health records?? Alot of my research focuses on using the EHR, and finding the best methods of optimizing the way we handle and process the massive amounts of clinical data available. It's really interesting stuff and seems like the field will only getting bigger as hospitals start to err on the site of using EHRs more than the old paper trail method. 

I haven't explored electronic health records, but I'm super fascinated by it. It is crazy to think we have gone from storing patient data the old-fashioned way, to now having everything stored online. I have heard from a PI that a lot of clinicians hate some of the most popular electronic health software and think it's not user-friendly at all. So I am interested in the changes of the technology. What kind of research is being done with ehr data? 

On 6/26/2017 at 4:10 PM, Neuro_1993 said:

I haven't explored electronic health records, but I'm super fascinated by it. It is crazy to think we have gone from storing patient data the old-fashioned way, to now having everything stored online. I have heard from a PI that a lot of clinicians hate some of the most popular electronic health software and think it's not user-friendly at all. So I am interested in the changes of the technology. What kind of research is being done with ehr data? 

Because of how much data is produced in the EHR data... there are a lot of techniques being used to help process and make better inferences. Like deep learning, or other machine learning/artificial intelligence sort of techniques so that we can make better use of the data. Of course theres some controversy. I recently read an article that was lambasting physicians who are relying too much on computers to make inferences on their patients. But I think as long as there is balance, then there's nothing wrong with trying to use technology to better understand patient data.