Sign in to follow this  
YDSOA

2018 UCLA Bioinformatics Ph.D Discussion

This thread is for anyone who plans on applying to UCLA's Bioinformatics Ph.D. Program, for the 2018 admissions cycle!  Please post below and network/discuss with fellow applicants! 

I'm applying to UCLA's program. I'm very nervous however, as I am finishing up a Masters in Bioinformatics, and still do not have any publications. :/

Reading this on the admissions page is really disheartening: 

Applicants who have completed or are in the process of completion of a M.S. or M.A. degree are expected to have extensive research experience including publications in research areas closely related to bioinformatics. Applicants with Masters degrees without publications are unlikely to be admitted to the Ph.D. program.

I do have extensive undergraduate research as well, but again I've just been unlucky on getting publications. 

On 7/26/2017 at 9:40 AM, Trish said:

I'm applying to UCLA's program. I'm very nervous however, as I am finishing up a Masters in Bioinformatics, and still do not have any publications. :/

Reading this on the admissions page is really disheartening: 

I do have extensive undergraduate research as well, but again I've just been unlucky on getting publications. 

Hi there,

Sorry nobody has replied to this!  I would reach out the program coordinator of the program and ask them about this. I am sure you are not the only person who has lots of research experience, but no publications. Don't let this be a deterrent for you applying just yet.